17 Quotes From Disney Movies That Offer Timeless Wisdom
Happy birthday Walt Disney!
On this day in 1901, the man responsible for the Disney empire was born. Although he died in 1966, Disney left behind an immeasurable legacy.
It’s probably safe to say that everyone has at least one fond memory of watching a Disney movie as a child. If you were lucky enough, your parents fulfilled your dreams by taking you to Disneyland.
Indeed, Walt Disney always intended on creating a world in which the imaginations of children could roam free.
Beyond entertaining people, however, Disney movies are also quite profound in their own way. They often offer advice that is applicable in all periods of life.
Thus, in honor of Walt Disney’s day of birth, here are 17 quotes from Disney movies that offer timeless wisdom:
1. “Oh yes, the past can hurt. But from the way I see it, you can either run from it, or… learn from it.” – Rafiki from “The Lion King”
Life is full of ups and downs. It’s often difficult to avoid dwelling on the past, but in the process, we miss out on the present.
As the Buddha once said, “Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.”
Focus on the now, and you will find peace and contentment.
2. “Just keep swimming.” – Dory from “Finding Nemo”
Go with the flow, don’t try to swim against the current. Change is perpetual, embrace it. We will all face obstacles in life, the only way to respond is to keep moving forward.
3. “Tell her the truth!” – Genie from “Aladdin”
Honesty is the best policy. Don’t dig yourself into a hole with lies. Tell the truth from the start, it makes things much easier in the long run.
4. “Hakuna matata.” – Timon and Pumbaa from “The Lion King”
Embrace the “no worries” mentality. This does not mean that you shouldn’t care about anything. Rather, don’t stress over the little things.
Concentrate on the big picture and enjoy every moment that you’re alive and breathing.
5. “The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all.” – The Emperor of China from “Mulan”
It is through struggle that champions are molded. The challenges of life make us stronger in the long run.
Stay positive, and when things are bad, remember that nothing is permanent.
6. “Look for the bare necessities. The simple bare necessities. Forget about your worries and your strife.” – Baloo from The Jungle Book
Insurmountable joy can be found in the simplest of things. Dissatisfaction in life is a product of not appreciating what you already have.
Remember that things could always be worse. Count your blessings.
7. “You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” – Christopher Robin from “Winnie the Pooh”
Everyone has the capacity to accomplish great things. We all have worth. Don’t allow other people to fill you with self-doubt. No one is perfect.
Every person has good and bad qualities. Concentrate on your strengths, not your weaknesses.
8. “I’m only brave when I have to be. Being brave doesn’t mean you go looking for trouble.” – Mufasa from “The Lion King”
Don’t spend your life trying to prove yourself to others. Voluntarily placing yourself in a difficult situation can be admirable in certain circumstances, but also very stupid in others.
In the words of the great, late, Nelson Mandela, “I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.”
Being afraid is a natural human emotion, and an instinct that helps us survive. It is nothing to be ashamed of.
9. “Family means no one gets left behind” – Lilo from “Lilo and Stitch”
The most important thing in life is the relationships we cultivate. Friends might come and go, but family is forever. At the same time, family doesn’t necessarily mean those you are tied to by blood.
Simply put, cherish those who are close to you, keep them by your side and always have their back.
10. “Children have got to be free to lead their own lives.” – Sebastian from “The Little Mermaid”
Some of us might end up being parents one day, and it’s important to remember that we can’t teach children everything. Independence is key to personal growth.
We must also remain cognizant of this in our personal lives as adults. Follow your own path, make your own mistakes. Don’t let others dictate your perceptions of the world.
11. “Think of the happiest things. It’s the same as having wings. – Peter Pan from “Peter Pan”
Focus on the good, not the bad. Bob Marley once stated, “You just can’t live that negative way. If you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day.”
Remain unapologetically optimistic. Every single day is a gift, and another chance to turn things around.
12. “Even miracles take a little time.” – Fairy Godmother from “Cinderella”
You can’t rush a good thing. Nothing that’s worth it comes easily. Patience in life is key.
If you truly desire something, then you have to be willing to put the work in to acquire it.
13. “A true hero isn’t measured by the size of his strength, but by the strength of his heart.” – Zeus from “Hercules”
People come in all shapes and sizes, but appearances are superficial. Ultimately, what really matters is the way that we treat others.
Be kind, gentle and caring. We only get one shot at life, it would be a shame to fill it with cruelty.
14. “To infinity and beyond!” – Buzz Lightyear from “Toy Story”
Don’t place limits on yourself or box yourself in. The saddest people in the world are those who placed self-imposed constraints on their dreams as a consequence of fear or comfort.
Say no to doubt and yes to possibility. Don’t settle if you’re not fulfilled.
15. “Remember, laughter is 10 times more powerful than screams.” – Mike Wazowski from “Monster’s Inc.”
The world can be a decidedly frightening place at times. Instead of allowing fear and worry to consume you, laugh at the absurdity of it all. A simple smile can change a person’s entire day, show off those pearly whites.
16. “Do not be fooled by its commonplace appearance. Like so many things, it is not what is outside, but what is inside that counts.” – Merchant in “Aladdin”
We’ve all heard the saying, “don’t judge a book by its cover.” Well, it happens to be great advice.
Some of the most remarkable people in the world might appear ordinary, but we can never really judge someone until we get to know them.
17. “You’re entirely bonkers. But I’ll tell you a secret. All the best people are.” – Alice Kingsley in “Alice in Wonderland”
We’re all a little crazy. We all have anxieties, insecurities, fears and quirks. It’s what makes a person unique.
Society may tell you that vulnerability is unacceptable, but it’s also human nature. Don’t fight it, own it. Eccentricity is what makes the world such a beautiful, random and dynamic place.